Mnangagwa breaks silence on poisoning
VICE PRESIDENT Emmerson Mnangagwa yesterday broke his silence on his alleged food poisoning saga, saying that, contrary to speculation, his illness at a Zanu PF campaign rally in Gwanda three weeks ago had failed. nothing to do with the ice cream of President Robert Mugabe’s Gushungo Dairy.
BY REPORTING STAFF
Mnangagwa, in a statement last night, described as false and mischievous insinuations that he fell ill after eating ice cream provided by the First Family, adding that the allegations were aimed at pitting him against Mugabe.
“I would like to set the record straight for my alleged consumption of Gushungo Dairy ice cream at the high table on the occasion of the Youth Interface Gathering at Phelandaba Stadium in Gwanda, South Matabeleland Province on August 12 2017, ”he mentioned.
“The innuendo I have taken from the said dairy ice cream is false and mischievous, and to be peddled by unscrupulous elements with the sinister agenda of creating a wedge between me and the first family, less market confidence in them. dairy products and cause unnecessary alarm and discouragement among peace-loving Zimbabweans.
The statement came hours after reports that the vice president and his South African doctor presented Mnangagwa’s medical report to Mugabe earlier yesterday.
The statement also came hours before Mugabe addressed another campaign rally in the backyard of Mnangagwa, Midlands province.
Mugabe did not accept claims that Mnangagwa may have fallen ill from his business ice cream, as he spoke about the issue at Heroes Acre last Saturday.
Following the fear of poisoning, where he left the gathering abruptly after an attack of diarrhea and vomiting, Mnangagwa was first airlifted to Gweru and later to South Africa, where, according to sources, he underwent minor surgery to remove traces of the poison.
After returning last week, Mnangagwa kept a low profile until he resurfaced following the funeral of late Vice President Simon Muzenda’s wife, Maud, where he thanked God for sparing his life after the poisoning saga.
Mnangagwa, who turns 75 next month, is being touted as a possible Mugabe successor, and his supporters believe he was poisoned by his rivals in an assassination attempt to eliminate him from the race.
But government officials insisted his stomach could have been upset by the stale food he was eating.
Mugabe told the Heroes Acre mourners that Mnangagwa’s health does not yet allow him to attend public and national events.
The poisoning saga came about as a result of a chain of events, which has marred Mnangagwa’s political path since he was appointed vice president in 2014.
Mnangagwa’s offices – despite their high-level security – have been broken into six times in recent years, but the perpetrators have yet to be identified and arrested.
In 2014, his office at the Ministry of Justice was broken into by strangers, and again, shortly before Mnangagwa was appointed vice president.
In another incident, cyanide was reportedly sprinkled into Zanu PF’s headquarters office, leaving his private secretary to fight for life.
No suspects were arrested during these incidents.
Do you have a history of coronavirus? You can email us at: [email protected]